Equipment Operator SeriesGrainfield, KS
Kansas Department of Transportation
Grainfield – Full/Part-Time, Full-Time
Job ID: 194742
Location: Gove County
Agency: Department of Transportation
Important Recruitment Information for this vacancy: Job Posting closes: 10/06/2019
Kansas Department of Transportation
At KDOT, we reward our staff’s hard work by providing training opportunities, a family-oriented work environment and service recognition. Promotional opportunities, free parking and flexible schedules are also offered. KDOT is a great place to work, so come be part of our team!
Verification of identity and employment eligibility to work in the United States is required by federal law. For a list of acceptable documents that establish these criteria, please refer to the federal Form I-9. KDOT does not provide sponsorships.
About the Position:
- Equipment Operator Series
- Who can apply: Anyone • Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Due to the nature of the work, incumbent may/will be required to work additional hours when needed, including nights and weekends. Additional hours will be assigned by the supervisor depending on the needs of the agency.
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veteran Preference Eligible: Yes
- Search Keywords: Grainfield Sub-area, District Three<
- Annual Salary Range: $26,998.40
- Hourly Pay Range: $12.98
- Educational Assistance Program
- On-the-job training programs
- Paid Vacation Leave & Paid Sick Leave & Paid State Holidays
- Group health, dental, vision.
- Family Oriented Work Environment
- Basic Life Insurance provided by the State/Optional Group Life Insurance at a reasonable cost.
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
- Employee Assistance Program
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information…
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
This Equipment Operator Trainee position is the entry level for the Equipment Operator class series and is located in Grainfield. Successful candidates may be appointed at a higher-level dependent upon experience and qualifications. All New EO Trainees must participate in the progression program. Upon successful completion of the EO Trainee program (six months to one year in duration), the incumbent will promote to an Equipment Operator and receive an approximate 5% pay increase.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform manual labor associated with maintenance activities, including the operation of miscellaneous equipment such as chain saws, weed eaters, pumps, compressors, jackhammers, generators, power tools, and various hand tools.
- Setup and remove temporary traffic control and serve as flag person for maintenance work zones.
- Maintain highways and facilities through activities such as repairs, resurfacing, mowing, and snow and ice control.
- Operate dump trucks, small and medium-size loaders, mowers, tractors, rollers, and power brooms to perform various maintenance tasks. Operate a loader or truck-mounted plow and spreader in snow and ice control operations.
- On-the-job training is provided.
View the full position description
- A valid Driver License at time of appointment
- This position is subject to pre-employment physical testing. The selected candidate will be required to pass the screening as a condition of employment.
- This CDL position is subject to drug and alcohol testing under the authority of the US Department of Transportation. The selected candidate will be required to pass a DOT drug test as a condition of employment in this position. A CDL must be obtained within 60 days of accepting employment.
- Any Commercial Driver who has received a Confirmed Positive Result or the Equivalent and has not successfully completed all Rehabilitation Program requirements and follow-up testing requirements is not eligible for this position. (Per SOM 2.1.10).
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sierra Percival
Phone: (785) 877-3315
Required Documents for this Application to be Complete:
- On the My Job Applications page, verify these documents are present and valid. Upload or delete and replace if needed.
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate
- DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate Required: Each applicant (even non-residents) applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Visit the Tax Clearance site for more information on and where to obtain this Kansas Department of Revenue document.
Job Application Process
- Sign in to your existing account or Register for a new account.
- Review and complete your contact information on the My Contact Information page.
- Upload documents listed in the Required Documents section of this job posting to the appropriate location.
- Complete and Submit your application.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – the email listed on the Careers>My Contact Information page.
- Notifications – view the Careers>My Job Notifications page.
See the helpful links below to assist in completing your application:
Registration & User Account
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Claim Veterans Preference
Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a “veteran”; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the agency recruiter